Sunday, June 5, 2011

Why I Let My ASQ Certs Expire

This year my two renewable ASQ certifications will expire, they are Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) and Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE). I've removed them from my LinkedIn profile and from my resume. On my resume I replaced them with my Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Theta Kappa honor society memberships. Why would I do this, after having both certifications for many years? Two reasons: Credentialism and Applicability

Credentialism

In their book The Puritan Gift the brothers Hopper trace the history of American managerial culture from the Puritans up to the mid-2000's. They also chart its decline since the early 70's due to the "Cult of the (So-called) Expert" and the resulting devastation in society. Their perspective is masterfully explained in a cartoon on the subject of "Domain Knowledge", one of the main subjects of the book (WATCH IT).

One of the damning aspects of the Cult as defined in their book is the concept of "Credentialism." This idea is based on someone's qualifications for a position being based partly, or solely, on their possession of specific credentials. These credentials, whether they be an MBA, a PhD or a CSSBB mask a potential lack of actual knowledge of the industry/company (Domain Knowledge) and lead to a false belief that a person is qualified for a certain position based on specious knowledge. When the position in question is an executive position in a company, or as a consultant advising executives, the results are devastating for a company. Multiply that by hundreds of companies, many of them very large, simmer for three decades and the results are the Great Recession and subsequent slow growth/possible double-dip of the following years. I believe that these ASQ certifications promote this idea of credentialism.

Applicability

Besides the above objection, based on principle, I believe that there is a real problem with the certification process itself. I took the CSSBB exam in 2005 but in the following six years I have not retained much of what I knew at that time. My job changed from full-time Black Belt to Quality Manager and then Quality Director. I still remember enough statistical knowledge to evaluate the work of others but I could not sit down and, using pen and paper, complete a correlation study as required in the exam. So, obviously my level of knowledge has diminished over the years. However, like in 2008, due to my recertification units (RUs) I could easily re-apply and be re-certified as a SSBB this year. I would then start another three year cycle where I would have to remain employed full-time, take some classes and do some ASQ activities and I could accumulate enough RUs to re-certify again. This cycle can continue ad infinitum as long as I remain a dues-paying member and pay the re-certification fee each year.

In this sense my CSSBB is literally misleading if shown on my resume and public profile. I could not sit down today and pass that exam, even if my life depended on it. So why should I be allowed to have the appearance of having knowledge that I don't actually have? Because I work full-time, take some classes and pay my dues? This "applicability" issue is a part of the overall issue directly related to ASQ's certifications. Of course, ASQ is not alone, I believe that many professional societies that offer certifications follow the same path but I do applaud ASQ for at least requiring an examination for their certifications. This gives more weight to their program than the ones in other societies. This strength is also the solution to this issue: do away with RUs and require people to sit for the exam again to be re-certified. How else to prove that they still possess the knowledge that they had to get the certification in the first place? How else to be honest and have an ASQ certification carry real weight in the marketplace?

Because of these two topics, I will allow my certifications to expire this year and I will not sit for another certification in the future. For the first reason, this is a very big problem and the Hopper brothers offer some solutions in their book. For the second reason, ASQ can and should take my advice and do away with RUs and require people to sit for the exam every time. To do otherwise is to perpetuate a false picture of competence and knowledge in the business world.

8 comments:

  1. I believe you are talking about something real, in my experience is about three years now that I don't work with anything related with my quality engineer certification.
    Some professional in first time did well in the exam but that do not certified that they have the requiered knowledge or experience.
    Also in this times I believed the certification do not work since the jobs are for manager network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your decision to let your certifications lapse. Certainly if they no longer represent active domain knowledge they are of little value.

    I disagree slightly with the value of credentials. Credentials can be a good proxy for domain knowledge when they represent actual experience and ongoing education in a specific domain of knowledge, e.g. state sponsored professional licenses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same in the past. The way you described is perfect. I would add that they just want money and don't care to much if your qualified or not.

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I also think great deal of companies lose out on great candidates due to the requirements for certifications instead of looking at the body of work of the person. If the company is actually looking to use the certification (i.e. Six Sigma) that is fine as a requirement, but I am finding companies that are asking for certifications for jobs that do not require them just because they are the buzz words for the HR department when putting together the job requirements document.

    ReplyDelete
  5. majority of those who have earned any of the ASQ Certification, they don't renew it. This I have observed with our clients too here in UAE. Maybe because majority of them are already in senior position and having that position they are so occupied and couldn't find time because of their roles. But if you are interested Here are the guidelines on how to renew the ASQ Certifications. Yu may refer to : https://asq.org/cert/recertification

    If you are looking for a training provider for the ASQ Certification Preparation you may visit the website of 3FOLD Education Centre. WE are also helping in recertification process.

    Training Details: https://www.3foldtraining.com/certified-manager-of-quality-cmq-certification/
    https://www.3foldtraining.com/six-sigma-black-belt-cssbb/
    main website: www.3foldtraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the beASQ#CERTIFICATIONst training institute for ASQ certification here

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is very informative nad clarity .
    #ISO CERTIFICATION

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very useful information. Keep continuing doing it really helping a lot to gather a lot of information
    ASQ CMQ Training

    ReplyDelete